Monday, October 6, 2014

10 Packing Tips

Sometimes, packing for even a short trip can be a challenge. So, packing for a study abroad experience that could be 4 or 5 months can seem downright impossible. The good news is, it can be done! It doesn’t mean it’s the easiest thing in the world to do, but here are some tips to make your life a little easier when getting ready to leave!

1) Pack in advance

Do not wait until the night before or even two nights before. I started about two nights before I left and it was a mess. I would advise start packing about a week or so in advance. That way, you have time to get anything from the store you might want and to change your mind a few times until you feel you have exactly what you want. 

2) Pack half the clothes you think you’ll need

I packed my suitcase with everything I wanted, then took about half of what I had packed out. This is what a friend suggested I do, and I was extremely glad I used this strategy. There were still things I never even wore for my 5 months abroad.

3) Bring clothes for a variety of weather

Even if you are going somewhere that is typically warm, you may experience at least a few chilly days, and you'll want your favorite jacket. If you do any traveling while abroad, you may encounter different weather and you'll want to be prepared.

4) Think about what you will acquire while abroad

You are going to come back with stuff you have acquired - clothes, books, souvenirs, etc. Be sure you leave room for those things. I took my bedding with me in a space bag and then left that with my Australian roommate when I left, which created a lot of extra space for coming back home. I also initially packed toiletries and then left all that in Australia (except for small bottles in case I missed a flight or something). 

5) Weigh your bags

You don't want to be charged an overweight fee - baggage fees are expensive enough without adding an overweight fee! Be sure you look into the baggage fees and policies for your airline and flight.

6) Think about how you will carry your luggage

Have a strategy in mind for how to carry everything you are taking. It can be difficult to carry so many bags through an airport, train station, bus station, etc, so think about this before and maybe even test it out if you’re really worried about carrying everything. 

7) Pack a good carry-on bag

Luggage can and does get lost. Be sure you pack a carry-on with essentials to get you through for at least a couple nights. Clothes, toothbrush, toiletry, phone charger, money, etc. Luckily, my luggage got lost on the way BACK from studying abroad, so I had all my clothes at home that I hadn't seen in 4 months, but the moral is...Luggage can and does get lost (or, as I said, it likes to take a vacation without you). 

8) Pack a smaller bag for traveling around

You might have the chance to travel around your host country/continent during school breaks, so you'll probably want a smaller bag to pack for that. I had a duffel bag that was pretty large, but I thought it was convenient because I could just not fill it up and then squish it into small car spaces if needed. 

9) Pack an extra source of money

I luckily decided to get a credit card right before I studied abroad, just in case. About a month before I came home, my debit card information was stolen, and I had to cancel my debit card. My bank would not mail a new card internationally, so I literally had to rely on my credit card. So, be sure to have a back-up method of money.

10) Pack photos or letters from home

If you're going to be gone for a while, you might experience homesickness. Having something comforting from home can help with this. I took a few photos I used to decorate my room, and I took a few letters from friends just to have with me for those moments of homesickness.


Packing can be hard, and no matter how hard you try, you might forget something. Don't worry too much, you'll be able to buy things once you arrive in your host country if this happens. One of my most valuable lessons in studying abroad was how to go with the flow and be flexible - two qualities that have helped me in life even after studying abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment